And finally! the final instalment of our wonderful travels in Portugal. After three weeks of pedaling through the Portuguese countryside we arrived at the northwestern coast; beyond, as far as the eye could see, only blue ocean. It seemed fitting to end our travels here, we could literally not cycle any further west. You can find previous posts of our travels in Portugal here: Post 1: Lisbon, Post 2: The Beiras, Post 3: The Douro, Post 4: Tras-Os-Montes & Geres.
The rain came down in sheets as we pedaled out of Campo de Geres and left the green mountains behind. It was a Sunday and as we rode through small hill towns we were serenaded by singing and hymns coming from the speakers of churches. It wasn’t long before we were completely wet. The cycling was easy and enjoyable though (and kept us warm) so we continued on to Ponte de Lima where we stayed for a rest day as the rains continued.
Two days later the rain finally let up and we continued on to the coast. We set up camp at the Oribitur campground just across the river from Viana do Castelo, a bustling seaside town. A short walk from our site was a beautiful sandy beach, quiet at this time of year.
The next three days we spent exploring the coast line, cycling along quiet country roads, discovering more golden sandy beaches with big surf. We played in the waves, soaked in the sun, knowing our days in Portugal were coming to an end.
And now, over 4 months later, we have only fond memories of this great country. Friendly people, amazing sites, vistas and history, delicious coffee, quiet and challenging roads, ever-changing landscapes-all the ingredients for a most wonderful bike trip. Would we go back? In a second and hopefully soon. Obrigado Portugal!
- Ponte de Lima: Hostel de Ponte de Lima-private room, clean, quiet, centrally located, lacking full kitchen
- Viana do Castelo: Orbitur Viana do Castelo-campground-showers, pool, easy beach access, 2km from town
- Hostel de Ponte de Lima: 25 euros/ night (includes 2 people, private room, shared bath, breakfast
- Campground Viana do Castelo: 17.50 euros/night
- Groceries: approx. 15 euros/day for 2 people
- Cafe: 2.60 euros/ day (2 double espresso)
- Pizza dinner out: 15 euros (2 pizzas, beer, juice, bottled water)
- Train: Viana do Castelo to Lisbon: 63 euros (2 people, 2 bikes, 1 train transfer)
- Michelin Spain & Portugal Atlas 1:400000
- iPad: Google maps
- GPS: Portugal Openstreet Map
- Camping Portugal: Mapa de Estradas (included with Camping Portugal book)
- Book: Lonely Planet Portugal
- Book: Camping Portugal
- Website: Go Lisbon
- Website: CP Passengers (train info)
- Website: Travelling Two
- Website: Pedal Portugal